Feb 21, 2011

Part 5: Months 5-7 and Bodylastics

As I said, I eventually stopped going to PT and started working out on my own. The problem was, I did not want to pay a gym fee if I was only going to go three times per week and be able to do only a limited number of things. I was watching football one Sunday afternoon when Terrell Owens made a nice play. I started researching him and I eventually found out that to help recover from an injury he had used Bodylastics. After further research I learned that Bodylastics put much less pressure on your joints, tendons, and ligaments while working out. I officially had to have these. I immediately went to www.bodylastics.com and put in an order.

I got them and it was everything I needed and more. From months 5-7 I had a pretty solid work out plan that I followed very strictly. I would use the Bodylastics to do a full body workout three times per week. This was an average workout:

5 Minute Skipping Warm up
Bicep Curls- 4 sets 15 reps
Shoulder Raises- 4 sets 15 reps
Shoulder Flys- 4 sets 15 reps
Rotator Cuff Pulls- 4 sets 15 reps
Lateral Pulls- 4 sets 15 reps
Standing 2 Arm Chest press- 4 sets 10 reps
Shrugs (traps)- 4 sets 20 reps
300 sit ups to be completed throughout the workout

I did a 1 minute rest between each set. I had never worked out at home, so it was kind of weird at first. However I had music blasting and Sportscenter on, so it actually became pretty cool. It was like I had my own personal gym. I also went on sort of a diet where I would only eat healthy foods from Monday-Saturday. Sunday was slack day. I also drank at least 1 Myoplex Protein shake per day.

With this combination I started to see results, and I saw them fast. At the 5 month mark I was 180 lbs, but I had some fat on me from doing nothing for 5 months. By the 6 month mark I was 170lbs, and my strength had increased in every exercise by between 200 and 400%. It was the first time in my life that I was losing weight and gaining tons of muscle. It was awesome.

I then set a goal for month 6-7 that I was going to increase my body weight from 170lbs back to 180lbs, however this time it would be all muscle, no fat. To my surprise, it was early as hell. I decreased reps and ate more food. I still ate very healthy, I just ate more. By the end of month 6 I had reached my goal and I was in relatively good shape. For anyone recovering from surgery, I definitely recommend Bodylastics.

Thanks for reading. Check back later this week for part 6 of my blog, the RETURN TO THE GYM!

2 comments:

  1. Alrite mate, hope you are well and you have recovered fully from your injury now. I'm very much in the same boat you were right now. I'm also 20 and tore my pec tendon bench pressing in September, i had delayed surgery after 6 weeks. Then my arm in a sling for another 6 weeks and now im a couple of weeks into doing active movements/wall climbing etc.

    I wanted to ask if the injury is still affecting you or if you have recovered fully... any advice on what exercises i should start with for rehab ? Any help would be much appreciated, thanks Oz

    ReplyDelete