Feb 16, 2011

Part 3: Weeks 1-6

The first few days were complete hell. I sat on a couch sitting up and watched TV while popping oxycodone every 4 hours to stop the pain. Everything hurt. I could barely even walk, and i had never been in a sling before so i didn't really have it adjusted properly. I slept upright and the sun woke me up around 7:30am every morning. By the 3rd day every muscle in my body ached as i hadn't moved more than 10 feel in 72 hours. It was hell. All i did was watch TV and not only was i in pain, but i was bored as hell. I eventually got my mom to go rent me some movies so keep my occupied. I did not shower for 2 weeks. Every few days my mom washed my hair and gave me a sponge bath, but i still smelt terrible. It didn't help those around me either that i never wore a shirt, just a pair of comfortable Under Armour shorts.



A week passed and some one the pain had went away but i will still feeling it. My friends would come over to hang out at times but it was pretty embarrassing. I was walking so slow around my house, hunched over like an 80 year old man, all at the tender age of 20. I did this for 2 weeks, at which time i was to see my surgeon for my first follow up appointment. It was a 2 hour wait for a 5 minute meeting. He basically just told me that it was a successful surgery and that he is confident that i will make a full recovery. He drew a little picture of what he did to reattach my tear, looked at the wound to make sure it was healing properly, and told me to come back in 4 weeks. He also gave me a note saying that i was able to return to work, which was a blessing 'cause i was really getting bored at home.

At 2.5 weeks i returned to work. I work at a bank so the attire was not a problem to get on. It was just a button up shirt which was easy enough. However i could not actually dress myself, so i now had to come to terms with the fact that at the age of 20 my parents had to dress me. I hope i never get old. Anyway they were great at work in helping me, but it really sucked. I had to type with one hand in a computer all day. Everything i did took literally twice as long. I also went through a daily cycle. I would pop a few oxycodones in the morning to relieve any pain i would suffer at work. The problem was they would eventually make me tired, so i would then have a coffee. I would do this after lunch also. I was basically on some form of drug all day, it was alright though because both forms made me feel good.

I did this for another month and on July 6th i finally met my surgeon to see me out of the sling. He had me take it off and he moved my arm in a way that i had not moved it in 6 weeks. This scared me however he said it is alright to do so. He also said that i needed to start going to physiotherapy and to start trying to move it to avoid shoulder freeze. This felt very weird. My arm was literally half the size of my good arm and i has become dependent on the sling. Anyway, i took his advise and went to see my physiotherapist as soon as i left the hospital.

No comments:

Post a Comment